Names:-Thira(officially) -Thera-Kalliste (the most beautiful one) - Strongyle (the circular one).
Area: 75,8 km2
2011 census population: 15,550 inhabitants
Last Eruption:- Jan.10,1950 to Feb.2,1950. –The Great Earthquake:- july 1956.
The circular group:
Santorini/Thira ( 75,8 km2 ) - Therasia ( 9,3 km2 ) - Nea Kameni ( 3,4 km2 ) - Palea Kameni ( 0,5 km2 ) - Aspronisi ( 0,1 km2 ).
Ports in Santorini:
- Athinios Port:- Ferry Boats- Boat Trips.
- Old Port (Fira) :- Cruise Ships – Boat Trips.
- Vlychada Port :- Fishermen Boats – Semi private & private cruises
- Amoudi and Armeni Ports (Oia) :- The arrival point of the traditional boat trips to reach Oia village to enjoy the amazing sunset.
Transport:- Four different ways to explore Santorini:
- Local Bus: - Feel local and have fun (the main bus station is in Fira)
- Taxi: - Feel tourist and move faster (the main taxi station is in Fira)
- Rent a car: -Feel free and explore more. Easy to move and easy to drive.
- Rent a scooter or a bike: -Feel the adventure and have fun.
- Fira (10 km/Athinios port-8 km/the Airport) :- Modern capital, the archeological and the prehistoric museums, old port, cable car, amazing sunset, night life.
- Oia (11 km/Fira) :- Traditional architecture-unforgettable sunset
- Imerovigli (3 km/Fira) :- The balcony of the Aegean- amazing sunset-Skaros (the remains of a Venetian Castle built in 1207):
- Firostefani ( 2 km/Fira):- Traditional houses-beautiful view and sunset.
- Pyrgos/Kallisti ( 6 km/Fira) :-Casteli (venetian castle)-highest village-former capital-Byzantine churches-the Monastery of Prophet Ilias (highest point-beautiful sunset) ,very impressive village with fantastic view.
- Akrotiri (10 km/Fira):-Minoan Bronze Age settlement-the ancient town is often compared to the spectacular Pompeii in Italy.
- Ancient Thera (15 km/Perissa-11 km/Fira):- it is an antique city since the Minoan Bronze Age(Prehistoric).located on the ridge of Messavouno mountain. You can reach it from the both sides of the mountain by walking or by donkeys.
- Emporio/Nimborios (11 km/Fira):- Old Goulas Castle –Churches (Saint Nicholas)
- Perissa (13 km/Fira)
- Kamari (10 km/Fira ) Black sandy beaches.
- Finikia ( 10 km/Fira )
- Vorvoulos (1 km/Fira )
- Karderados (2 km/Fira )
- Messaria (3 km/Fira )
- Vothonas (3,5 km/Fira )
- Mesa Gonia ( 6 km/Fira )
- Exo Gonia ( 7 km/Fira )
- Megalochori ( 7 km/Fira )